Doubles (Order of finish: 2, 1)
C1: No. 4 Cash/Kadhe (OSU) def. No. 22 Johnston/Malik (MICH), 6-1
C2: No. 31 Gerch/Mendoza (OSU) vs. No. 28 Hua/Knight (MICH), 6-1
C3: Dubinski/Finzelberg (OSU) def. Schalet/Wong (MICH), 3-2 unf.
Singles (Order of finish: 4, 6, 1, 5)
C1: No. 18 Julian Cash (OSU) def. Jathan Malik (MICH), 6-3, 6-4
C2: Lucas Gerch (OSU) vs. No. 66 Myles Schalet (MICH), 6-3, 3-6, unf.
C3: No. 69 Arjun Kadhe (OSU) vs. Alex Knight (MICH), 6-3, 4-5, unf.
C4: Artur Dubinski (OSU) def. No. 95 Kevin Wong (MICH), 6-0, 6-3
C5: Tristan Meraut (OSU) def. Runhao Hua (MICH), 6-4, 6-1
C6: Carter Lin (MICH) def. Jurence Mendoza (OSU), 6-0, 6-4
Mar 02, 2017 at University of San Diego (Hogan Tennis Center)
1. #79 Filip Vittek (USD) def. #20 Florian Lakat (CAL) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. #26 Andre Goransson (CAL) def. Joshua Page (USD) 6-3, 6-2
3. #80 Billy Griffith (CAL) def. Gui Osorio (USD) 6-3, 6-4
4. Bjorn Hoffmann (CAL) def. Guus Koevermans (USD) 7-6, 3-6, 10-8
5. JT Nishimura (CAL) def. Joel Gamerov (USD) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
6. Nic Barretto (CAL) def. Alexandros Araouzos (USD) 6-3, 7-5
1. Filip Vittek/Joshua Page (USD) def. Andre Goransson/Billy Griffith (CAL) 6-1
2. Nic Barretto/Florian Lakat (CAL) def. Gui Osorio/Joel Gamerov (USD) 6-3
3. Bjorn Hoffmann/JT Nishimura (CAL) def. Guus Koevermans/Alexandros Araouzos (USD) 6-3
UC Berkeley 8-1; National ranking #7
San Diego 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,6,4,5,1)
Added Wright about the USD match, "After we won the doubles point, we came out hot in the singles, winning the first set on all six courts. Nic Barretto ended up clinching the match for us with his consistent groundstrokes and upbeat attitude. With Nic's clinch in singles, we now have all six of our players who have clinched a match for us this season."
Wright concluded, "The team now has three days to play doubles and relax at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, which is truly one of the best tennis resorts in the world."
"Congrats to Filip for a magnificent day," said Coach Keckley. "He played to his potential and took advantage of the matchup. I was really proud of the way he fought and led this group."
"We continue to learn and get better with each match," said Coach Keckley. "We are growing in the right direction as a group and continue to build from the ground up."
TCU dropped the doubles point to Dallas rival SMU but the Horned Frogs rallied in singles to come away with a 4-2 win. SMU won the doubles point by winning the decider at No. 1 in a tiebreak but TCU came back with four first sets in singles. Cameron Norrie and Jerry Lopez picked up quick wins for TCU at No. 1 and No. 4 while SMU's Arkadijs Slobodkins picked up a quick win at No. 6.
TCU sophomore Reese Stalder came back from a break down in the second set to win 7-5, 7-6(3) and then fellow sophomore Alex Rybakov clinched the match with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 win over Hunter Johnson at No. 2. TCU junior Guillermo Nunez came back from 7-6, 4-1 down to force a third set against Samm Butler at No. 3 and then after going up 3-0 in the third Butler retired once TCU had already clinched.
1. #19 Cameron Norrie (TCU) def. #46 Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #51 Hunter Johnson (SMU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
3. #112 Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) def. Samm Butler (SMU) 6-7, 7-5, 3-0, retired
4. Jerry Lopez (TCU) def. Markus Kerner (SMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Reese Stalder (TCU) def. Yates Johnson (SMU) 7-5, 7-6 (3)
6. Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) def. Gianni Mancini (TCU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #42 Yates Johnson/Hunter Johnson (SMU) def. #14 Guillermo Nuñez/Alex Rybakov (TCU) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Reese Stalder/Jerry Lopez (TCU) def. Markus Kerner/Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) 6-3
3. Tony Russell/Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) def. Cameron Norrie/Gianni Mancini (TCU) 6-1
TCU 5-3; National ranking #41
SMU 8-3; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,4,6,5,2,3)
Post-Match Quotes from TCU head coach David Roditi
“This was a very good road win. I am proud of the guys for coming back on the road from losing the doubles point. The key was a quick win by (Cameron) Norrie and (Jerry) Lopez followed by a critical win from Reese (Stalder) in the second set tiebreaker. They have been working hard and it showed today. We still have a few things we need to clean up. (Alex) Rybakov did a great job of competing to close the match out. We had a lot of fans come out and also alumni and it helped us get through those tough moments. We will get a little better in the next few days to welcome No. 3 Wake Forest on Monday.”
Other Thursday Results:
- Pepperdine def. San Diego State 6-1
- Toledo def. Boise State 4-3
- UC Davis def. Loyola Marymount 4-3
- VCU def. St. John's 6-1
- Nebraska def. Creighton 5-2