"We have some work to do in doubles – no doubt," Wallace added. "But our singles is just a bunch of fighters. It is all about next point and playing forward. It is just some great tennis if you let things go and realize your team needs you, your university needs you. That was what our theme was when we talked prior to the match. Winning championships is fun and you want to do it together, but at the same time it is bigger than us, it is for the University of Georgia. I thought they really bought in and competed the way you want them to compete."
On the finish…
"It looked like Marta [Gonzalez] was going to get it done. She even had team match point, and Kat [Jokic] wasn't playing at the level that she is accustomed to like yesterday and earlier in the match. She [Jokic] got down 2-5, and suddenly Marta doesn't close it out and gets beat in the tiebreaker. Then Kat got that look in her eye and I know that look. When she gets that look, it is 'Wow'. She started playing some tennis at a whole new level and ended up taking that tiebreaker decisively. I'm excited for her and the whole group. She [Jokic] went undefeated the whole week and so did Meg [Kowalski]. It was a complete team effort with different matches at different times. Elena [Christofi] stepped it up today and had a great win, but also she came back from 5-0 to keep the championship alive against Vanderbilt. It is just really exciting. Vivian [Wolff] played some high level tennis today and yesterday. Lourdes [Carle] against Vandy was the clinch match, so we needed it from everybody this past week."
On the team…
"I'm super, super proud of our team in what they were able to accomplish. The season is early and young and there is a lot of work to be done, but we are looking forward to enjoying this one for sure."
#5 Georgia 4, #2 North Carolina 3
Feb. 12, 2019 at Seattle, Wash (Nordstrom Tennis Center)
Singles (Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 1)
1. #2 Katarina Jokic (UGA) def. #6 Makenna Jones (UNC) 6-7 (3), 7-5, 7-6 (2)
2. #15 Sara Daavettila (UNC) def. #10 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) 3-6, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)
3. #7 Alexa Graham (UNC) def. #102 Lourdes Carle (UGA) 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
4. #58 Vivian Wolff (UGA) def. #20 Cameron Morra (UNC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Elena Christofi (UGA) def. #104 Alle Sanford (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
6. #84 Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Jessie Aney (UNC) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2)
1. Aney/Graham (UNC) def. Carle/Wolff (UGA) 6-1
2. #5 Jones/Morra (UNC) def. Christofi/Coppoc (UGA) 6-2
3. Goulak/Gonzalez (UGA) def. Daavettila/Sanford (UNC) 6-1
Georgia 7-0; National Ranking #5
North Carolina 9-1; National Ranking #2
ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship Finals
***All quotes are from the respective school's recaps