"Excited for our team to come out and play focused in singles," said head coach Brad Dancer. "UCLA has great players and coaches, so it is a huge challenge anytime you face them."
"I know we can play better in spots, but overall we were resilient in our focus," noted Dancer. "Needless to say, we are looking forward to playing in the ITA National Indoor Championships on Friday."
#14 Illinois 4, #7 UCLA 2
Feb 13, 2019 at Chicago, Ill. (Midtown Athletic Club)
1. #24 Aleks Kovacevic (UI) def. Maxime Cressy (UCLA) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
2. #23 Alex Brown (UI) def. Keegan Smith (UCLA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Govind Nanda (UCLA) def. #30 Zeke Clark (UI) 6-4, 7-5
4. #125 Keenan Mayo (UI) vs. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 2-1, unfinished
5. #116 Caleb Chakravarthi (UI) def. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) 5-7, 6-0, 6-4
6. Siphosothando Montsi (UI) def. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) 6-1, 6-3
1. Maxime Cressy/Keegan Smith (UCLA) def. Alex Brown/Caleb Chakravarthi (UI) 6-2
2. Keenan Mayo/Aleks Kovacevic (UI) def. Govind Nanda/Connor Rapp (UCLA) 6-2
3. Patrick Zahraj/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Vuk Budic/Zeke Clark (UI) 6-2
UCLA 3-1; National ranking #7
Illinois 4-1; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,2,5)
The USTA released its latest Top 25 with a new No. 1 for both the men and women. As expected Georgia took over the top spot on the women's side after winning the National Team Indoors with wins over North Carolina, Stanford, Vanderbilt, and NC State. NTI runner-up North Carolina came in at No. 2, previous No. 1 Stanford was No. 3, and NTI semifinalist Duke was No. 4. The top four was also the same in the new ITA rankings with a side-by-side comparison below.
The ITA didn't release men's team rankings this week however the USTA did and Ohio State is your new No. 1 after weekend wins over Arizona State and Georgia coupled with Wake Forest losing to Virginia last week. Tulane was the only team to fall out of the top 25, after losses to Mississippi State and Texas Tech, while South Carolina was the only team to move in to the top 25 after a win over NC State.
CollegeTennisRanks has the team lineups for this weekend's National Team Indoors so make sure you head over there to see who is playing in what spot.